Tolerate once meant something very different than it does today.
From Latin tolerare — to endure, to bear a burden, to sustain something difficult.
Tolerance was never meant to signal approval. It meant restraint. Patience. The willingness to coexist with something you may strongly disagree with.
Tolerance implied strength.
Today, tolerance often means endorsement. Agreement. Celebration. Anything less is treated as hostility.
But that was never the standard.
To tolerate something is to say: I do not agree with you. I may even believe you are wrong. But I will not deny your humanity.
Tolerance was never meant to eliminate conviction. It was meant to prevent cruelty.
A society that confuses tolerance with approval will eventually demand conformity.
Because if disagreement is treated as harm, then honesty becomes dangerous.
True tolerance allows differences to exist without requiring truth to be negotiated.
It makes space for disagreement without demanding silence.
Tolerance is not the absence of standards.
It is the presence of restraint.
And restraint requires strength.
No comments:
Post a Comment